Hathaway, Reiser & Raymond, Inc., had its beginning in 1890 when Alden Reiser relocated his sailmaking loft in Lunenberg, Nova Scotia, to Boston, MA. Reiser then joined forces with Asa Hathaway, who was then in charge of sailmaking at the Herreshoff Mfg. Co. in Bristol, RI.
Together, they came to Greenwich, CT, working from several locations on the east side of Greenwich Harbor. For a short period about 1925, Hathaway and Reiser worked out of the Luders Marine Construction Co. in Stamford CT. Throughout this period, they made sails for the titans of sailing including the America's Cup defenders Vigilant, Defender, Columbia, Reliance, and Resolute. By 1930, they had established their loft on River Road in Cos Cob, CT, where the company remained until 1957.
In 1947 Edgar L. Raymond, Jr. joined the business as a partner after having made his own sails, working with Reiser and finally giving to his fascination of sailing. He sold Elm Refining, a precious metals refining business, and changed careers. Ed's son, F.P. "Skip" Raymond took over the company when Ed retired, and ran the company until 2002.
Skip's long-time managers, Tom Anderson and John Savage, bought the company in 2002, maintaining Hathaway's long tradition of personalized service and the highest quality products. Tom and John continued providing the highest level of service for their customers until the company shut its doors for the last time in November 2016.
Tom, John and the entire Hathaways crew would like to thank our loyal customers for the many years of business and support. Please check back here soon to learn of future plans for Hathaway, Reiser & Raymond.
us we can help.